sign


In 1830, Samuel Duncan, recognizing the excellent possibilities for land development, purchased land on the western banks of the stream, which traversed the area and plotted a town, which he named Duncansville. About the same time Jacob Walters laid out plots of land on the eastern side of the stream and called his settlement Walterstown. Confusion and some rivalry existed between the two settlements. Both Duncan and Walters agreed that a common name should be used for the two places. They decided to cast lots to select the name to be used. The people of both settlements declared a holiday and arranged quite a celebration for the occasion. All assembled at the wooden bridge separating the two towns. A coin was tossed and fortune favored Duncan,
thereby uniting the two communities under the name of…

DUNCANSVILLE

Print Friendly